Student Blogging Challenge – Week #8 – Let’s Travel

As I’m sure you’re aware by now, I love embarking on new adventures. I’m thrilled that many of you will be joining me for the overnight field trip to the Oregon Shakespeare Festival in Ashland in three weeks, and that more than a few of you will be boarding an airplane bound for London with me next summer.  Travel, especially the planning that’s involved and the discovery of new places, brings me great joy, and it is with great pleasure that I share Miss W.’s challenge for you this week: Let’s Travel.
Instead of sharing the typical post choices, this week you have the opportunity to pick and choose from several ideas to decide how to create your own unique travel post. By the way, remember the following guidelines as you write:
  1. Opens with an attention grabbing title.
  2. Length of at least three paragraphs.
  3. Includes at least one image, video, or music with appropriate citation.
  4. Includes a link to build on and/or extend the conversation.

Don’t forget to share a link back to your post for Miss W. on the challenge blog when you’ve finished your post for this week.

Week 8: Let’s travel

mother

reizenbee via Compfight

So you have just turned 18, left high school and deciding if you will go onto university. What will you do for the next year? If you are anything like me, you will travel the world, working in lots of different countries and learning about cultures that are of interest to you.

Please use one or more web tools you haven’t used before – eg glogster, storybird, flipbook, bitstrips, kizoa – there are lots of tools to use on the sidebar of this blog as well as here and Edublogs staff have put together a great list including how to embed into your blog.

Planning your trip

• Look at passports, visas, working permits for 3 countries you would like to visit.
  • Create a map showing your proposed journey – remember this may change
  • What will you need to pack? Remember weight limits when flying.
  • How will you travel?
  • Where will you stay?
  • Create budget for part of your journey

On your way

• International signage for toilets etc, signs on roads
  • What will my money buy?- exchange rates – how much is a cup of coffee in 3 different countries?
  • Contacting mum and dad – know your time zones, how to use skype or similar
  • Flight times – using 24 hour time – how long are flights between major cities?

Visit at least one country in each continent (include Antarctica in Oceania)

• Make a collage of where you visited
  • Teach us some of the language of at least three countries eg How much is a cup of coffee? Where are the toilets?
  • Create a story of your journey
  • Interview some of your employers or relatives you stay with
  • Create a playlist of 9 pieces of music or dance from your journey – not in English

Home sweet home

• How will you tell your friends about your journey?
  • What were the highlights and lowlights of each country?
  • Where would you visit again and why?

If you need to use images remember to find those that are creative commons. I have also found some at Pixabay  where you have to download the image to your computer and then upload to your blog post (just include the name of the photographer at the end of your blogpost) and photos for class where you download an image to your computer and it will automatically have a watermarked attribution included.

Here is a photo using Pixabay – I have added the caption to include the photographer’s name – the image is a jpg and you can choose the size to download. If using Edublogs, you can also choose size of image before inserting into your post.

Pixabay - photographer: Alexas_Fotos

Here is a photo using Photos for Class – it is a png image but you don’t have choice of size to download – if using Edublogs, you can choose size of image before inserting into your post

Still got time this week

Please visit Solana and give her lots of encouragement to continue the challenge. She is only student from her class still participating in the challenge.

Travel the world by leaving comments on blogs from countries other than your own. Write a post about who you visited including a link to the post you commented on.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Next week will be your chance to shine and show your teachers, fellow students, blog visitors how great you are at blogging. Make sure you know what makes a great post and how to attract people to your blog so they will leave a comment and start or continue a conversation.