There are two activities this week and they are in the form of a game. They involve visiting other blogs, leaving quality comments and writing a post about the comments you left.
Before playing the games, make sure your blog is ready for visitors.
- You have lots of interesting posts for visitors to read and comment on.
- Visitors can find posts by using tags or categories on your sidebar.
- You have a visitor widget to see where your visitors are coming from.
- You have at least five student blogs from other places around the world on your sidebar.
Game week is all about visiting other blogs.
Remember one of the main aims of blogging includes commenting and carrying on conversations with the author of posts and their other readers.
A good commenter will have:
- read the post carefully,
- checked out the links in the post
- read the previous comments before they leave one of their own
- added to the conversation with a quality comment – remember that video from Mrs Yollis’ class.
- included a link to their own blog or a similar post on their own blog
Choose one of the two games below, and complete the post as described:
This is a game we have run for many challenges and allows you to connect globally. Those who have taken part in a challenge before know the game of ‘Count Out Three’. Here are the instructions:
- click on a blog on the student list or class list– count one
- now click on a blog from the new student’s blogroll – count two
- finally click on a blog from that new blogroll – count three
- leave a comment on an interesting post at this third blog.
Students: Make sure you are also replying to any comments that have been left for you.
Do this activity at least three times and finally, write your own post saying which blogs you visited and which posts you left a comment on. Why did you choose that post? Remember to include a link back to the post you left a comment on.
This is a new one I have thought of to add to the challenge. Many great student posts are being flipped to the #17stubc Flipboard magazine, but I am not sure how many of you have actually checked them out. So here are the instructions for this game.
- Click on the flipboard magazine link here
- Click on the title of the post of what looks like an interesting image or a catchy title
- You should now be taken to the actual blog post, read it and leave a comment
- Come back to the magazine again and repeat two more times
Write a blog post mentioning the blog posts you read (including a link to each of those blogs visited) and the comment you left.
Get to it – start visiting and leaving quality comments that show you have read the post.
How many quality comments could you leave this week? Can you leave 10, 20 or maybe 50?